Free bus pass and transport concessions

One of the perks of getting older in the UK is the transport concessions you get, such as the free bus pass.
London Bus

What transport concessions could I get as an older person?

The main national public transport concessions available to older people are:

  • London Freedom Pass gives you free or discounted travel for London residents across London transport networks, including trams, national rail, the underground, river services, and buses.
  • The Senior Railcard (available to anyone aged 60 or over) is an annual savings card. You buy it for a one-off cost each year and it will allow you to make big savings on most rail fares in the UK.
  • Various transport concessions available to disabled older people

It’s also worth contacting the individual coach and train operators to see if they offer discounts for older people. For example, National Express offers a Senior Coachcard for people who are 60 and over. It costs £12.50 and offers a third off your travel throughout the year.

Some local authorities offer concessions that apply to local public transport. Contact your local council for more information about what they offer.

  • The Senior Railcard: available to anyone aged 60 or over.
  • London Freedom Pass: Eligibility for this pass is in line with the women’s State Pension age. People born on or after 6 October 1954 will have to wait until they are 66 years old to be eligible for a Freedom Pass.

Get more information and check if you're eligible on the Freedom Pass website

If you're over 60 but not yet eligible for a Freedom pass, get a special Oyster card for free travel in London

How do I apply for these concessions?

Free older person’s bus pass

Contact your local authority for more information on how to apply.

Senior Railcard

You can order online from the Senior Railcard website using a valid passport or UK driving licence as ID, or you can also apply at most staffed railway stations.

Freedom Pass

The Freedom Pass website tells you all the documents you'll need to complete application.