Smart meters come with an in-home display, sometimes called an IHD. This shows you how much gas and electricity you’re using and how much it’s costing you. This can help you work out how to save energy around the home, which could save you money too.
Smart meters are currently being rolled out across the country.
Here are just a few of the reasons why people have them:
- Smart meters can help you keep a closer eye on how much energy you’re using and how much you’re spending.
- You can see where you might be able to save energy, for example by turning the heating down when you don’t need it or switching the TV off at the wall.
- You’ll get more accurate bills based on the energy you’ve actually used, not an estimate.
- A smart meter won’t automatically save you money. You’ll have to be proactive to reduce your energy costs. The best way to do this is to use the in-home display to keep track of how much energy you’re using. You can then try to reduce it. (Citizens Advice).
- If you have a smart meter, your energy company may be able to switch you remotely to a prepayment meter (PPM) without your consent. They do not need a warrant to do this.
- You may be charged if your in-home display gets broken and you would like a replacement.